Krystol Internal Membrane™ (KIM®)
Krystol Internal Membrane (KIM) is a hydrophilic crystalline admixture used to create permanentlywaterproof concrete.
KIM lowers the permeability of concrete and is used in place of surface applied waterproofingmembranes. By stopping the transmission of water through concrete, KIM adds durability and longevity to concrete by protecting it against chemical attack and corrosion of reinforcing steel.
KIM contains Krystol technology. When added to concrete, Krystol chemically reacts with water and un-hydrated cement particles to form insoluble needle-shaped crystals that fill capillary pores and micro-cracks in the concrete and block the pathways for water and waterborne contaminants. Any moisture introduced over the lifespan of the concrete will initiate crystallization, ensuring permanent waterproofing protection
FEATURES & BENEFITS
The original and unsurpassed Permeability Reducing Admixture for Hydrostatic conditions (PRAH)
- 35+ years of history
- Effective against 140 m (460 ft) of hydrostatic head pressure
- Reliably self-seals hairline cracks up to 0.5 mm (0.02 in)
- Reduces concrete shrinkage and cracking
- Outperforms other crystalline admixtures on an equal weight basis (kg for kg / lb for lb)
- Unique chemical reaction
- Highest level of permeability reduction
- Most dependable self-sealing performance
- Best shrinkage and restrained shrinkage cracking reduction
- Proven to extend life and protect against corrosion
- Easily added directly to ready-mix truck or to a central mixer
Safe for contact with potable water
- Certified by NSF to NSF/ANSI Standard 61
Replaces the need for unreliable membranes, liners and coatings
- Impervious to physical damage and deterioration
- Significant reduction to your construction schedule
- Reduces the cost of maintenance and repairs
- Increases revenues with a larger building footprint
- Lowers overall waterproofing costs
- Essential for blind-wall and shotcrete applications
Extends life of concrete
- Protects concrete against corrosion of reinforcement
- Improves resistance to freeze-thaw
- Improves resistance to waterborne chemicals such as sulfates, chlorides, and acids
Use KIM to provide waterproofing protection for any Cast-in-place, Shotcrete or Precast concretes that will be subject to water, such as:
- Below grade parking structures, basements, elevator pits and foundations of high-rise towers
- Recreational facilities such as aquatic centers, aquariums, zoos, water parks and marinas
- Architectural water features such as fountains and waterfalls
- Traffic tunnels, below grade pipelines and subway tunnels
- Water containment reservoirs, water treatment tanks, sewage and manholes
- Bridges, dams and highway infrastructure
- Concrete homes including basements, foundations, swimming pools, decks, bathrooms, garages and exteriors
- Sufficiently designed roof tops and plaza decks
- Any concrete that requires the highest level of protection and durability
KIM is used around the world and has a number of certifications, including:
- NSF to NSF/ANSI Standard 61: Drinking Water System Components
- International Code Council – Evaluation Services (ICC- ES): International Building Code Compliance, ASTM 494 Compliant: Report ESR-1515
- Dubai Municipality: Certificate of product conformity
- BRANZ , Appraised No 661
- CE Marked to BS EN 934-2
- REACH Compliant
- British Board of Agrément (BBA): Certificate 05/4217
- British Board of Agrément (BBA): Certificate of Conformity of the Factory Production Control 0836-CRP- 14/F086
- Singapore Green Label
Read and distribute Application Instructions 1.11 (Cast-in-place concrete) or 1.21 (Shotcrete) before using this product.
A pre-pour meeting with the general contractor, forming contractor, finisher, concrete supplier and materials testing engineer is strongly recommended. Treat construction joints and penetrations in accordance to Application Instructions 4.11-4.31 (as applicable). Dose KIM up to a maximum 8 kg/m3 (13.5 lb/yd3) in consultation with an authorized Kryton representative. Trial batches are required to determine actual plastic properties. Allow KIM to thoroughly mix at medium/high speed for minimum 1 minute per cubic meter/yard in the batch and a minimum of 3 minutes. Place and finish in accordance with ACI guidelines. Proper placement and curing are essential to achieve the performance and benefits of KIM. Cure in accordance with ACI 308.1 guidelines.
KIM is an effective waterproofing system for rigid concrete structures only and may not reliably self-seal dynamic, moving cracks and joints.
Read the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for this product. For professional use only. Avoid contact with skin or eyes. Avoid breathing dust. Wear a dust mask, long sleeves, safety goggles and impervious gloves.
KIM is available in 5 kg (11 lb) and 25 kg (55 lb) re-sealable pails as well as pulpable mixer-ready bags in custom sizes to match your mix design.
When stored in a dry enclosed area, KIM has a shelf life of 5 years for unopened pails and 4 months for properly resealed pails. When packaged in mixer ready bags, KIM has a shelf life of 4 years when kept in the original pallet wrapping and must be used within 4 months of opening the original pallet wrapping.
Kryton International Inc. (Kryton) warrants that Kryton products are free from manufacturing defects and comply with the specifications given in their respective technical data sheet. Because conditions of use, such as site conditions, surface preparations, workmanship, concrete ingredients, weather, structural issues and other factors are beyond the control of Kryton, no warranty can be given as to the results of use.
Purchaser agrees to seek the advice of qualified professionals and to determine for themselves the suitability of the products for their intended purpose and assumes all risks. Purchaser’s sole remedy is limited to replacement of any product proven defective or at Kryton’s option refund of the purchase price paid. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY CONTAINS THE ENTIRE OBLIGATION OF KRYTON. NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, SHALL APPLY INCLUDING ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. KRYTON SHALL NOT BE LIABLE UNDER ANY LEGAL THEORY FOR SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. No representative of Kryton has the authority to make any representations or provision except as stated herein. Kryton reserves the right to change the properties of its products without notice.