Patching and Parging Defective Concrete and Masonry
Krystol Bari-Cote is used to provide a smooth finished waterproofing barrier for patching and parging defective concrete & masonry. Krystol Bari-Cote uses Kryton’s proven Krystol® technology which reacts with water and un-hydrated cement particles to grow insoluble needle-shaped crystals that fill capillaries, micro-cracks and pores in concrete to reduce permeability and stop water. Bari-cote is best used for repair and protection of naturally weak and highly porous surface such as block walls. It is also preferred for surface exposed to traffic or abrasion. The following application instructions are used for the resurface and repair of concrete and masonry in horizontal and vertical surfaces.
This product is effective for rigid structures only and may not reliably repair areas that are subject to movement. Consult a Kryton representative for project specific recommendations. Use typical cold weather practices if applying in cold climatic conditions. Installation during heavy rain must be avoided.
Read and follow the Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for these products (available at www.Kryton.com). For professional use only. These products become highly caustic when mixed with water or perspiration. Avoid contact with skin or eyes. Avoid breathing dust. Wear long sleeves, safety goggles and impervious gloves.
STEP 1: SURFACE PREPARATION
- Remove any defects using a chipping hammer with a sharp, flat 25 mm (1 in.) chisel. Ensure edges are square and stable. Do not leave feathered edges.
- Prepare the surface by sandblasting, high pressure water blasting (minimum 3,000 psi), scarifying, shot blasting or other method of mechanical surface preparation to remove loose concrete and surface contaminates, as well as open concrete pores closed due to smooth finishes. Concrete with some exposed aggregate is ideal. The freshly roughened surface will provide maximum adhesion and better penetration of the waterproofing chemicals. Concrete surfaces must be clean and free of paint, sealers, form release
agents, dirt, laitance or any other contaminates.
NOTE: Acid etching is not recommended. If acid etching must be used, all traces of acid must neutralized and rinsed away before applying Krystol Bari-Cote.
- Surfaces to receive Krystol Bari-Cote must be brought to a saturated-surface-dry (SSD) condition. The concrete must be completely saturated with water to allow the Krystol chemicals to penetrate deeply and react. The outer surface, however, must beonly slightly damp so as not to dilute and weaken the bond. Thoroughly pre-soak the surface with water; then remove excess water with a sponge or vacuum immediately before applying.
TIP: High pressure water blasting is effective at cleaning and saturating the concrete in one step.
IMPORTANT: Failure to bring the surface to an SSD condition will result in a weak bond between the slurry and the concrete, and may lead to dusting, flaking and delamination.
STEP 2: INSTALL KRYSTOL BARI-COTE
- For patching: Mix Krystol Bari-Cote to a putty consistency approximately four (4) parts powder to one (1) part clean water. Do not mix more than can be applied within 15 minutes.
As a parge coat: Repair all defects first, and then mix approximately three and a half (3.5) parts powder to one (1) part clean water. Trowel this mixture over the surface to a thickness of approximately 3 mm (0.125 in.).
NOTE: For deep patches or overlay applications thicker than 13 mm (0.5 in.), mix Krystol Bari-Cote with clean 10 mm (0.375 in.) pea gravel (approximately 4 parts powder to 1.5 parts gravel to 1 part clean water). Because sources of gravel vary, trial batches may be needed to determine the optimal mix.
- Apply Krystol Bari-Cote to the prepared concrete or masonry surface using a trowel.
- Once Krystol Bari-Cote has hardened (1-2 hours under most conditions) mist the surface with water as needed to keep the repair saturated.
IMPORTANT: Krystol Bari-Cote develops heat during the hardening process and is prone to rapid drying. Protect the application by covering the repair with traps or plastic to prevent water loss from evaporation. Mist as necessary to keep saturated and restore surface coverings between misting. Maintain these curing conditions for at least 48 hours.
MATERIALS AND COVERAGE
|Krystol Bari-Cote||Approximately 3.5 m² per 25 kg pail (38 sq. ft. per 55 lb. pail) @ 3mm (0.125 in.) thickness.|
- Clean water supply
- Mixing bucket, drill and mortar paddle
- Margin trowel
- Chipping Hammer or scrabbler